Perfect

One thing I know and understand is that no one is perfect. I have come to understand this mainly because of two things... being a parent and having been in love before.

Being a parent has shown me how much my parents were simply human. They made mistakes, they attempted things that did not work, they tried to fix things that they could not, they lived life. I use to have parent issues. My father was not around after I was 3 or 4 due to his personal choice and battling drug & alcohol addiction. I learned as a teenager that part of the reason he stayed away was because my mother blocked his few attempts to contact us. Add to this that during my early teens my mother went through menopause. Hormones versus hormones caused our relationship to be rocky for many many years. Once I had my daughter my relationship with my mother improved and in 2006 I was reconnected to my father thanks to my cousins. Due to these changes I was able to face and fix the issues I had with my parents.

Being in love before has shown me how much I am not perfect. In realizing that you are not perfect you realize the other person is not as well. This is where communication, patience, and alcohol hard work comes in. I use to say I was imperfectly perfect. For the right person I will be perfect. In my work to improve my trend of overly compromising I had to face my imperfectness and my acceptance of imperfectness in others. Look at my standards, needs, and deal breakers in relationships of all types.

I am a realist so I do not wear the fairy tale glasses. I try to look at the reality of a situation and the possible outcomes. Do not get me wrong, the romantic in me often hopes for a certain outcome (in romantic relationships) but I put it on the shelf with the other possible outcomes. Currently in that situation right now, desiring one romantic outcome but accepting that it is one of many possibilities that are out of my full control.

Now that I think about it that situation really connects to this post. Both people in the situation feeling a certain way about something that happened or was said. Each taking a different approach to communicating and dealing with it. I have learned to be a communicator due to previous mistakes, but it still is hard for me at times. Part of that can result in me saying things without fully thinking or choosing the right words. I have also noticed since I communicate issues I have quickly, sometimes men take it with stride instead of thinking it is a big issue. I do not know if this is because there is not drama related to it or what.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today was a good day.

Why Do We Love Love?

Changes