Agape

My favorite word is Agape. I have a deep obsession with A words. My daughter's name starts with it and I love words that start with As.

Agape is a word that means so much but is so simple at the same time. I came across the word many many moons (nope you don't need to figure out how old I am!) ago in a bible. Once I learned the meaning I knew it was my word!


 Agape is the fourth word for love.  It is a love that loves without changing.  It is a self-giving love that gives without demanding or expecting re-payment.  It is love so great that it can be given to the unlovable or unappealing.  It is love that loves even when it is rejected.  Agape love gives and loves because it wants to; it does not demand or expect anything from the love given.  It gives because it loves, it does not love in order to receive.  

Technically, Agape can not be defined as “God’s love,” because men are said to agape sin and the world (John 3:19, 1 John 2:15).  But it can be defined as a sacrificial, giving, absorbing, love.  The word has little to do with emotion; it has much to do with self-denial for the sake of another. The greatness of agape love is it keeps on bearing, believing, and hoping.  It does nOt give up.  It destroys enemies by turning them into friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today was a good day.

Why Do We Love Love?

Changes